Thursday, September 8, 2011

Remember the Designers and Studios

Have you looked through your quilting patterns recently?  Not the books but the patterns.  I re-organized mine recently and that made me really look at them.  First of all, I have to say that originally I had put my patterns in alphabetical order by the name of the pattern (not the name of the studio or designer because one doesn't usually remember those - ouch!).  Please.  Not only can I not remember the names of all the designers, I can't remember the names of the patterns either!   

My new organization method is to group by subject.  Now I have folders for Stars and Houses (two types of patterns that really appeal to me so I have quite a few of each), the different seasons, major holidays, table toppers, applique, wool, etc.  Of course, I still have a folder just labeled General (it should be called "Everything Else").  To keep my innate sense of propriety happy, I then alphabetized the folders.  My rogue side (oh, the games we play)slipped a few patterns out of their respective folders so I can see them through the plastic sides of the storage boxes (which also have typed lists of the folders in each box).  Those patterns that are peeking out of the box are the ones I want to make asap.   

The things we learn about ourselves when doing things like this - amazing.  Do you ever think that you go around half of the time on auto pilot with a brain that is in "sleep mode"?  For example, does your car ever drive itself home and bypass the gym all together?  Speaking severely to it doesn't help.  I used to try that. 

Anyway, what I really want to mention are the patterns that are peeking out at me, the ones I'm itching to get to.  Today, I took a closer look at them.  Guess what.  They're by the same designer.  Without even realizing it, I have purchased five patterns by her.  There are two florals, a holiday, one nature study, and one landscape that I purchased long before I started quilting.  The florals were purchased at the same time but none of the others were.  And she has more that I want. 

It isn't surprising that we find designers that we like so much that we want to buy all that they offer.  We have all felt that visceral tug that says, "I have to make that."  This designer has a distinctive style even though she uses several different topics and has grown with the years. What surprises me is that I was so totally oblivious.  There's no excuse.

Well, after I write to this particular designer, tell her this story, apologize to her, and get her permission to get specific, I will.  It used to drive me nuts that people can't remember or can't be bothered to remember the authors of books they love (I mean people who are still of a remembering age).  Humbly, I have to apologize to them also for my arrogance.  We should try harder.  We should at least notice!  Even though I won't always succeed, I'm going to do both.

I'll still group most of my patterns by subject matter, though.  But now there will be some that will be in folders with designers/studio names.


No comments:

Post a Comment