Friday, September 16, 2011

A Special Lady, the Queen of Applique

Last night there was a party at Flying Geese to say good-bye to Pat Cunningham who is leaving the shop.  It was a lovely party hosted by the gracious ladies of Pat's Applique Club (Pat is the Queen of Applique).  Being a titular member of the club they did allow me in the door though I haven't done any applique since my last Farmer's Wife block (long story). 

Be that as it may, we laughed, ate, shared stories, ate, talked about quilts, showed some projects (you should see what Mardi's been up to - oh my!), ate, laughed some more, hugged, and ate. 

Did you notice that we did a lot of eating?  You would have, too, if you'd eaten any of the salsa Mary Ellen made or tasted even a tiny morsel of Liz Poole's incredible chocolate cake.  These are ladies with a multitude of talents.  Makes one proud to be an applique-er!

There may have been a few damp eyes, but we tried to keep it light.  Pat is a lady of great charm, many gifts, a generous spirit, sharp mind, and kind heart.  I have my own stories about Pat who was my first applique teacher.  Here's one that may explain why she is so special to me.  She has championed my quilting attempts from the very first hesitant stitches and has always had an encouraging word as well as a specific compliment for anything I've done.  Her support of my designs during the McCall's Quilt Design Star Contest has been remarkable.  Because of Pat and Tara (the owner of Flying Geese), the quilts for that contest have been on display at the shop and notices have been sent to shop's e-mail listees telling them about my endeavors.  

As a hard worker who always does more than one expects and doesn't complain, Pat sets the bar high.  No matter how trying a day she's had, there's always a smile on her face and a warm welcome for whomever she meets.  She's an example for those around her, and she will be missed.   

Pat is the kind of person one would like to be when one grows up.   

No comments:

Post a Comment