Monday, September 12, 2011

Initial Steps for Challenge 3


"Embellishments" on a Log
It didn't seem possible Saturday when I checked my e-mail and found I had a message from McCall's.  The voting had ended on Friday, and I didn't expect to hear anything until Monday.  However, there was the message, and with some trepidation (if it had arrived so quickly, maybe it contained bad news) I opened it.  As most of you know by now, it was good news.  I am going on to the final Challenge.

Step 1: Again, I can't tell you anything about it except to say that it was nothing I expected.  It took me until that evening to decide what I wanted to use to answer the challenge and to see an image in my mind.  That image has shifted and flowed into something slightly different.

Step 2:  I expect that mental image will alter again when I start drawing it tonight or tomorrow morning.  Actually, I will probably make some very rough preliminary sketches and the main, more detailed and finished work will be done tomorrow.  

Step 3: It is during this process that I start a mental review of my stash and decide which fabrics will make this idea come to life.  Right now I haven't  settled firmly on a color palatte, but the final choice is almost made.  Once I am sure of the colors, I will start looking at fabrics - previewing them for their suitability.  It's possible I will use a wide variety of fabrics so I'll have to spend quite a bit of time sifting through various bins.  

Step 4: Then there's the problem of what techniques will suit this vision and help make it come alive.  I suspect there will be several different techniques used.  At least I think there will! 

Step 5: If I can make all these decisions rather quickly, then I can review my sketch, change whatever needs to be changed, have it copied, and get to work.  I always have my sketches copied because A) they usually need to be enlarged, and B) I often have to cut out parts for applique purposes.  I'm lucky to live in an area where there are copy centers that can do this for me.

Embellishments Close Up
Step 6: While I sew, I'll have a conversation with myself about the embellishments.  I think I've mentioned that I love to embellish my work and have to keep a tight rein on myself so I don't overdo.  The last quilt, "Daisy Makes Do", had only embroidery and a bead rattle for baby Nancy.  It was hard not to do more, but I felt neither the subject nor the style could support a lot of "fancies".  

Sounds like a long list, but I haven't added the most crucial piece.  Before I can get to Step 3, if not earlier, I have to call the person I would like to have quilt this piece for me.  She may not even be available during the time I will need her or she may not want to do this project once I tell her about it.  Or the fabrics I think I might use may cause problems or the techniques may be an issue.  What I'd really like to do is call her and ask if I can visit when my sketch, fabrics, etc. are more than a glimmer in my brain.  Then she and I can talk and see if what I'd like to do is possible and if she'd like to be a part of it.

I'll let you know (as much as I can) what happens!


No comments:

Post a Comment