Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Bamboo Forest Painting - More Growth

Today was a slow day for me at painting class.  First, I had accomplished quite a bit with my quilting but nothing in the painting realm.  That has been the way has been for the past several - well, for a long time.  

Anyway, because of that I had not reached any conclusion about the color for the second woman's kimono.  Originally, I had painted (in my studies) her in the color she was actually wearing (red purple with yellow designs) when I snapped the photo, but I really didn't like it.  I didn't like the colors or the combination, but I especially didn't like it next to the lady in the red kimono.

While I was mulling the problem over, I worked on the roadway, the wooden railing, and the thatching.  Those last two items made the barrier between the public and the bamboo.  Originally, I wasn't going to add the barrier but wound up feeling the composition needed it.

Then I tried out some possible kimono color combinations on scrap paper.  When Sharon came by, she and I discussed the ones I had and tried a few more.  Before the end of class I was able to paint the first kimono washes.


Oh dear, on my screen it looks like an orange and a blue; I hope it show up better when posted.  The lady on the right is wearing red and the one on the left is in a blue-purple kimono.

2 comments:

  1. colors seldom come out true on a computer screen. Bet this is going to be one of my favorites of your paintings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a sense of motion to the women. They appear lifelike. Also, I find the composition pleasing. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete