Friday, September 22, 2017

New Look at an Old(ish) Quilt

The quilt I had intended to work on remains missing in action (or maybe I should say in "inaction").  But all is not lost.  There are plenty of other quilts that need attention, and I am sure that the one I put on my list will be located sometime (probably in the bin at the bottom of the pile).  

Instead of "Women's Voices" (the name of the missing quilt), today I pulled out a donation quilt for a little boy that I started three years ago (I think). All blocks are made and two of eight rows were already sewn.  Despite the inevitable time spent organizing the pieces, figuring out what the notes made three years ago mean, and changing the sewing machine from buttonholes to quilt work, four .  more rows were sewn this afternoon.

However, there is something I am both perplexed by and excited about.  While looking for the missing quilt, I found a bag hiding behind the bi-fold door of my stash closet. 

"Ha, you little sly one," I said as I pulled it out.  "You thought you'd avoid the big upheaval of tidying, didn't you, but now you're in for it!  Since you missed simply being put in a bin without further interrogation, you have have my undivided scrutiny!"

And I dumped the contents onto my cutting table.  And there was something I had totally forgotten about to the extent that I didn't even recognize it at first.  Here it is after being ironed:


(Yesterday the bamboo painting was too dull and today this is too bright).  In a class at a quilt shop that is no longer in business, I started this wall hanging.  It is part of what is called a "watercolor" quilt because of its use of lights and darks.  This is only one-quarter of the pattern.  It is mostly hand sewn which, since I was still working at that time, is probably why it was put away.  The notes on the left side identify the number of the row and where its matching row should go.

Now I have to figure out what I want to do with what I have. The bag may have all the fabric I need to complete the other three quadrants to finish the intended pattern, or it may not.  I haven't checked that thoroughly partly because I'm not sure I want to adhere to the pattern.  But if not that, then what?

Gail Perry has patterns and books on watercolor quilts filled with ideas on what can be done with small squares of different values.  If I am correct, her ideas tend toward impressionist landscapes and still lives.  Those two options don't intrigue me.

I'm thinking more geometric.  Maybe.  

Clearly, I shouldn't do anything yet!

2 comments:

  1. I'm going to have to think about that quilt. It's not an easy answer. My first thought is do the other three quarter pieces, but do them on the machine. And then go from there. I also think that you can add longer pieces sort of in a log cabin kind of deal. I really have to study this to come up with something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. god don't you love it when you find something you have clearly made and can't remember the damn thing!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete