Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Painting Day, New Work

D asked me if I would undertake a new painting from our trip to Italy that would have some cedars in the composition.  That was an easy request as if one takes photos in Italy one would be hard put not to includes cedars in at least one photograph.  So all I had to do was find one photo that I would enjoy working with.

After running through the photos I settled on one I've already painted for the friends who were kind enough to be our tour guides.  I think this is the first time I have chosen to repeat a subject, but I chose to use two photos for one painting.  

The repeated photo is of Montalcino, a hill town, and the added photo is a landscape in the same area.  I did this for a few reasons.  First, it would would be a challenge to merge the two images thereby making me really think about composition.  Second, that same merger would also make it a new painting, and it would be like doing the same thing over again.

Here's the painting I did for our friends:


And here is the first pass of the one for David.  You'll have to look carefully because it's very light.  It's just the first wash which lays out the composition and gives me a chance to see if it will work.


I think it will work.  This layout is one to which I am quite partial, and it makes it clear (or will) that Montalcino is a hill town.  D's cedars aren't in evidence yet, but they will be.


1 comment:

  1. Your friends are lucky to have the original painting from you - it's beautiful. And I couldn't imagine you doing the same thing the same way twice. I can hardly wait to see how you make it different - which I just know you will !!

    ReplyDelete