Thursday, October 26, 2017

Confession

Well, here's the confession:  I didn't "stick with it" and use the fabric in my stash for the border.  The mental image of the quilt with the dark blue/green border haunted my dreams, and I simply couldn't do it.  After my haircut, I dashed off to the local quilt store and bought 2.5 yds of a very, very pale blue-ish green batik.  The color appears in swirls of dots giving a snow-like effect (though not apparent from a distance).  Cool!

Home I hustled, sewed all the main quilt strips together, figured the measurements for the border which would include a block embedded in each side, and finally, sewed the borders. Then it was time to add borders to quilt top.  Hurray!

The border for the end of the quilt was sewed on and it looked  . . . too short!  Cut at 12",  I thought it would work with the new-style, thicker mattress, but it didn't.  However, I finally realized why (which means - if I remember it! - I won't make this mistake again).  At no time did I even begin to consider the bulk of blankets on the:

  1. top of the mattress
  2. edge of the mattress
  3. under the mattress
It's just enough that the border hung to the point where the top mattress meets the bottom but not below that meeting point.  I want it to cover that sometimes messy area.  

Back to the drawing board.  More measuring; did I have enough of any material left?  Adding another new material really was something to avoid.  While there wasn't enough of the white-with-snowflakes left for the borders, there was enough for strips!   By the time, the math was done and checked, rechecked, and then cut, I ran out of steam. 

Tomorrow, the strips will be added to the borders, and the quilt will be ready for the quilter.  Though not all assembled, here's yesterday's  picture of the quilt top on the guest bed (double bed size not the king size for which I'm making it).


I fell in love with cheerful folk art design back in the 70's, and I still love it.  In this shot, you can see the designs pretty well (as well as the dark green used in some of the frames).

2 comments:

  1. Sorry you had some measuring problems - but you did fix it. Happy you had enough fabric to do so. It's looking GREAT !! Makes me wish I had bought that fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it is looking good. those top,sides & under mattress are a pain in the neck. I made a queen for a queen bed, then had to add more wasn't big enough esp. when you get 2 bodies under there!

    ReplyDelete