Sunday, October 8, 2017

Two New Works in Progress

Last week the winter fabrics I squirreled away several years ago were pulled out of the bin with the pattern, my notes, and sketches for pattern alterations (to suit the fabric better).  The plan is to have it ready for professional quilting the beginning of November, and that means that I have to keep working on it.  Right now I am thinking about 33 - 36 very simple blocks; thirty for the main portion and at least three for the borders.  

Here's what some of the blocks look like:


The borders consist of two fabric frames made from several different fabrics - just enough to add color interest.  The focal fabric is cut to try and make different scenes, and the two orientations help give the illusion of more than are available.  It has a "country look" I've always liked, and it portrays a happy winter time not the frozen waste land that so many of think of when winter comes around each year.

The second project is the wool work shown below - well, it is the beginning of another wool mini-banner.  The group of these banners I had purchased more recently but had done only one immediately.  My intention is to finish the ones I bought (I didn't buy all twelve of them as some of the patterns didn't resonate with me), and then to take on another hand-work project that has been languishing. 

Anyway, the various wool pieces mark what will be the edges of the piece (the charcoal is the background and is closer to black than it appears in the photo).  Now that I look at it again, I don't like the top row.  The way I laid it out, the pieces at the top form a tiny triangle where they meet along the bottom.  I don't like that and will have to see if I can rearrange them without creating more problems.


The winter quilt is on my October list, but the wool work isn't.  Don't worry; it will be !added

1 comment: