Monday, October 2, 2017

Laundry Day Plus

Since today was laundry day, sheets had to be changed.  That gave me the perfect time also to change the quilt on the bed.  While I still have a long way to go to make my dream of a different quilt for every month, we now have three (only nine to go!).  So the pretty summer quilt was pulled off the bed and D's Reunion Quilt went on. 

Of course, that meant that now I want some new pillowcases and definitely new shams for the decorative-but-full-size pillows.  Yesterday I started one set of pillowcases but made a critical error in cutting.  I measured incorrectly so the cases were too short.  Ugh.  I wound up piecing them which is not the best thing to do, but since I didn't have enough fabric to start all over and I love what I had, well, piecing was it.  Now I did make an error, but I also hadn't realized that our new pillows are longer than the old ones by about 2 inches!  Ah well, these just the first for this quilt, and they are now a model on both a how not as well as a how to for the next sets.  

While the shams were started too, since they are a design-as-I-go, I didn't have time to complete them. They're being counted as part of my October list, they will be in use by the end of the month.

I took a break from laundry and sewing in the afternoon and went outside.  The summer annuals in the big pot, near the front porch, and in the porch railing pot were ready to be pulled and tossed so I did.  That gave me room for the fall gourds.  Here's how the porch pot looks now (wish the stem on the mini-pumpkin weren't so straight, but it is and rolling it on its side makes it too unstable) :


I also played with the "pop-out" feature on my phone's camera.  That's why the photo below looks as it does.  Experimentation taught me that it doesn't work for every photo and that one has to really think about the composition before using it.  However in the photo below, the pop-out section works as a stand alone composition and the rest of the photo works as a relatively non-intrusive background.  Oh well, the beautiful white chrysanthemum S-i-L "A" gave me really pop!



Laundry day put a bit of a crimp in my plans for today, but still things were started, things were learned, and some were completed so I feel it was another successful day.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you made progress !!! And the chrysanthemums are beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete