Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Again, No Photos - Rats!

A bit of a disappoint for me today; the photographs for this entry were taken too fast (we were getting ready to go out for a time) and therefore aren't as clear as they need to be. 
 
After today's painting class, I feel that the "Road to the Lake" is almost finished - maybe two or three more days (one of which will be for the final minute touches).  Perhaps my inability to get a decent photo is simply my subconscious saying, "Wait.  It's too close to the end and your subsequent work will be all those diddly things that may drive your readers mad."  Perhaps.  Or maybe it's just bad photos.  Who knows. 
 
Will I try to get a decent picture for you to look at tomorrow? Maybe, maybe not because there's always the crazy quilt blocks to discuss, also.
 
That was the second class of the day.  We saw a lot of incredible photographs of crazy quilts from the Abby Aldritch Rockefeller Folk Art Museum collection in Historic Williamsburg.  We also learned about many new products out there for applique and crazy quilting - some of which I can hardly wait to get my hands on!  Then there were new ways of doing time tested techniques and new techniques because of new products.  A new-to-us ribbon flower was demonstrated, and we all made a sample.  
 
Then we were able to share our own work, and it's as diverse as the group is.  Amazing what people who are really beginners at CzQs are doing - both in constructing their blocks (some ladies are new to quilting period!) and in their creative use of embroidery stitches the making of which may also be a new experience.  I've always loved looking at how other people learn and grow with experience and how everyone's work shows her (in this case "her" only) own personal flair. 
 
Did I take any photographs?  No.  Sigh.  Next class I will ask for permission to take and show you as much of the beautiful work as they will allow. 
 
If I remember.  Bah!

2 comments:

  1. Some people create with their hands, others can only take in creations through their eyes. While you are busily making things, Dave and I went with fellow gardeners to the Philadelphia Flower Show -- our first time. Our late departure for California made the trip possible -- and oh what fun. The theme this year was English gardens. And while I do not believe I rise to that creativity, I did allow myself some impulse buying at the last minute in which Dave willingly participated. We bought a 5 foot lattice obelisk with bird house on top from Walpole Wookworkers (20% discount through the garden show). We came home thrilled and ready for California tomorrow thinking gardens -- gardens -- gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First -- to Esther -- my sister lives in Malvern, PA and goes to that garden show every year! She loves it and gets great ideas. I've never been there but intend to go as soon as the obligations here relax a bit. I'm happy you found that bird house and that you truly enjoyed the show.

    Noel - I'm so sad that I didn't get to go yesterday. We're going to have to sit together next week so you can show me the new flower. Work is first - and sometimes that's a real PIA.

    Meanwhile, I'm looking forward to photos of both the painting and the CQ.

    ReplyDelete