Thursday, March 28, 2013

Crazy Quilt Class

Not only was I able to accomplish the tasks I set for myself today, I was able to both start a new crazy quilt block and attend a CzQ class in the evening. 
 
The block I started today features a photograph of my great-great grandmother as a young woman, and I am pleased with the fabrics I chose to put in the block.  The last block I started with my sister's photograph left me feeling dissatisfied with my choices of colors.  Whether to start over with that one or not is something I still haven't decided, but I think I should work on it before tossing it away.  Embellishments change the appearance - sometimes radically, and as our teacher says, I tend to "encrust" my work heavily.  That will either save the block or not. 
 
It was fun to take the evening class (I'm usually in the daytime section) because I was able to see work done by different people.  One woman is starting a project with lots of photographs - mostly children I think, but I didn't get a close look.  It will be exciting to see how her work evolves.  A friend, LP, was also there which was a pleasant surprise as I haven't seen her for a while and didn't know she was "into" crazy quilting.  Her pieced blocks were lovely; she had very striking velvet centers in both.  She explained how she had made them appear raised which also added texture to the appeal.  However, her blocks are quite small which for me would be a challenge.  I'm looking forward to seeing how she handles it.  ME worked on her special project, but she, too, is talking about starting over.  She marked her light fabric with a dark marker and isn't happy with that.  Also, there's a new, gorgeous gimp for her to couch which will both save her time and make her stems striking instead of merely there.  I can hardly wait to use some myself.
 
You see, there's always something new or a different way of doing things that keeps this activity fun.  For me, it's also so much more creative than - well, than sewing binding! 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. The night crazy quilt class was fun and I see we weren't the only daytime people there. I, too, was pleasantly surprised to see LP. I hope to really start to tackle the ring bearer pillow on Sunday. I have to show BH that I did something by Tuesday!

    When I saw all your blocks that you're working on and have finished -- you've really gotten a lot accomplished!

    And even though I don't mind doing binding at all - CzQ is much more creative!!

    ReplyDelete