Sunday, March 17, 2013

Tackling the Pile of UFOs

Finishing things I start is seems to be low on my priority list.  At least is seemed this way after I finished my cleaning and tidying of my sewing work space last week.  Refusing to count the number of UFO's (Unfinished Objects) was probably a smart move as the number might have sent me into a downward spiral.  It certainly seems better to count the ones I do finish, don't you think?
 
Until I ran out of a truly lovely brown thread, I was getting a lot done so I will share what I did accomplish.
  1. Hand-sewed the binding on my second Spools quilt (the one with the embroidery in the center) and the bottom of the sleeve so it can finally be hung.  Left to do?  Make and attach a label.
  2. Trimmed, machine sewed sleeve, made binding, sewed binding on the spring basket wall hanging I made in K's "Littles" class (used a lot of the brown thread).  Left to do?  Hand stitch the lower edge of the sleeve tonight and make a label - someday.  Hang it tomorrow, take a picture to share.
  3. Trimmed, machine sewed sleeve, made binding (ran out of brown thread so couldn't sew binding on) for the quilt I purchased from a quilt teacher and good friend. Left to do?  Sew on the binding, hand stitch the lower edge of the sleeve and attach label.
  4. Removed the way-too-bright-orange sashing from my "Cabanas" wall hanging (from Lisa O'Neill's book Sliver Quilts in which she calls it "Make Yourself at Home")  and replaced it with a suitably-subdued-orange which doesn't grab all the attention.  Left to do?  Back, quilt, bind, embellish, and label . . . but it's a truly little piece:
 
So you see, I've made a start, and one of the things that is making this possible for me is machine-stitching the binding (see "Machine Binding", November 26, 2012).  Knowing I don't have to spend hours and hours laboriously sewing on binding makes me feel I really can work my way through my unfinished quilt pile and enjoy the process as well.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Noel, Janis here. Guess what I'm still plugging away at? My Farmer's Wife quilt. I am actually enjoying re-discovering it again! Is yours all finished? I'm up to about 60 blocks but I know there are a few I won't use! Stopped at Log Cabin quilts last week and picked up some fabric for the sashing. My goal is to finish it this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Sounds like you got a lot done. I love the little cabanas. It came out cute. Keep up the great work! Maybe I should take a page out of that book. I know there's a tablerunner and a quilt that need binding! Right now they're keeping my closets warm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. good for you, Noel! Trying to finish up UFO's is my goal for this year, and If I'd stop finding new projects to throw into the mix, maybe I'd be better at it! I love the change out in sashing fabric on the cabanas, and maybe should start consider machine stitching binding myself. Sure would help with the over-sized, monster quilt for Peter! Oh well...I'll just keep plugging along :-)

    ReplyDelete