Sunday, March 10, 2013

Screens, Pancakes, and Planes

Recently I wrote about trying to find a particular pattern for a wall hanging that looked like a screen.  Eventually I found one for sale on eBay that looked as though it might be the one so I purchased it - and it is!   The "table runner" is the version we saw at the Gilbertsville Quilt Show.  The nicest thing is that I have the fabric I want to use to make this (table runner aka wall hanging) for D.  Ironically, I prefer the Hoffman pattern that I printed on that earlier entry to this one because, in the larger version of the one below, there are what I view as empty spaces (the yellow) between the print fabric.  A screen - even a Japanese screen - wouldn't have those regular openings so this one looks a little off to me.  It won't stop me from using the pattern, though!
 
Saturday D and I drove west out Rte 20 past Sharon Springs heading for the Stone House for our yearly pancake/waffle with fresh maple syrup.  This year they outdid themselves and both of us had the best pancakes (D) and waffles (me) we've ever had there.  The syrup was as always superb.  Because it is not yet the height of the Maple Syrup Festival and we arrived early, business was light so we didn't feel we had to move to make room for others to sit.  It gave us an opportunity to enjoy the scenery which included the planes you see in the next photographs. 
 
This is my favorite shot because of the old maple tree with its sap line, gnarled branch, and deep blue shadow. 
 

We never did find out where the flying club was from, but it didn't matter.  I've always loved planes though I have no desire to learn how to fly, and these looked so pretty clustered in the snow against the woods and the cerulean blue sky .



In this picture you can see the tracks made by the plane's skis made as it taxied to its chosen parking place (there didn't seem to be anyone flagging them in or to specific areas in the field).  We didn't get to see any of them actually land as they had arrived before we did.  And yes, they were all on skis.

It was a perfect day for a ride, crisp, and cold but not uncomfortably so.  Imagine what it must have looked like from the air in one of these planes!

2 comments:

  1. The screne pattern is very nice - and you could put something other than background fabric where they think the background should show through.

    Photos are great -- but I, like you, have no desire to get up in one of those little planes and ride around. Did that once and learned that unless it's a commercial jet, I'll stay closer to the ground!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard to believe that we're living in the same time frame -- having breakfast on the sunny patio in the morning, walking the beach, enjoying the wild flowers next toe the trail. But there is beauty at both ends of the continent as your photos show. I would love to share the maple syrup breakfast with a vista of snow covered ground and cerulean blue skies. Your photos are magnificent.

    ReplyDelete