Monday, March 25, 2013

Scattered Buttons Quilt

This entry will be mostly photographs of the renamed quilt.  It's difficult to see the point of the new title, "Scattered Buttons" until you look through all the photos, especially the two close ups.
 
 
The first three shots were taken while the quilt was on the family room floor and I had merely set the buttons out to see where I wanted to put them.  Then I basted them on while still on the floor (which took 2 evenings to complete).  The next two close up are to showcase the buttons.  These come from my collection of  macaroni buttons, or to be technical "extruded" buttons.  All of the pieces on this quilt are early plastic, but the macaroni's are my favorites.


 
This final picture shows the quilt with almost all of the buttons basted in place and hung up in the family room.  I did use the flash to pick up the buttons a bit more because they are so similar in color they tend to blend into the background.

 
Even though this demands close inspection to really appreciate the embellishment, I felt that the limited palette of the quilt plastic paired with the limited colors available in the early plastics was appropriate.
 
By the way, my love of the "macaroni's" started when my mother made me an evening coat to go with a dress made for my senior prom.  She used three large pearly white macaroni's (from my grandmother's button box) on that coat, and it's been love ever since. 
 
Sigh, I still have those buttons, but they are so fragile that the shanks broke off and they can't be sewed on this quilt.  However, I am still collecting them, and you never know what I might find!  

2 comments:

  1. I think I like the buttons on the quilt. I can hardly wait to see it in person!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfectly perfect- as usual!
    love it (and the fabrics) :-)
    will look forward to our next show and tell....

    ReplyDelete