Sunday, March 24, 2013

Quilty Doings

It was a wonderful weekend despite the weather.  Wonderful because I accomplished a lot and also was able to spend time with a special group of friends (our at-least-once-monthly meeting that doesn't always happen met today!). 
 
First, a catch up on some of the UFO's I've been trying to finish.  This particular group of UFO's is a sub-category that I call ABBS  (All But Binding and Sleeve).  You'll hardly believe it, but as I was finishing the binding on the quilt I called "Recess", I ran out of the variegated thread I was using!  Remember that happened with the brown thread I used for the
"Spring Baskets" quilt?  Could I even begin to believe it happened again?
 
So off I went to JoAnn's (it wasn't the top quality thread but not bad) who is the only supplier around here for that particular brand.  You know what I'm going to say.  They didn't have any.  On the way home I thought I had a solution; I could turn the quilt upside down (I still had the correct thread in the bobbin) and sew it that way.  Once I arrived home I realized I would have to baste the unfinished part of the binding so it would stitch up smoothly even though I couldn't see it.  Ugh, too much work!  While I sat at the sewing machine, I had an eureka moment.  I now have a Janome machine so, unlike my old one, maybe the bobbin would fit on the thread spindle?  Yes, hurray, another finished quilt!
 
Well, almost.  After two more days of sewing, "Recess" has been renamed.  It is now "Scattered Buttons".  I will try to get a decent photograph that will show you how it has earned that new name.
 
Then I made three more sets of pillowcases.
 
Today was such a terrific time with my friends and all but one of our group were there.  We shared what we were working on, ME finished one lovely project and started hand-quilting another beauty, KM worked on binding a HUGE and handsome quilt, hostess NL worked on a very special counted cross stitch (no mean task as she now awaits her cataract surgery), I, too, worked on a counted cross stitch project as a change of pace (at least I could see what I was doing!), and PC? 
 
Well, PC put us all to shame.  She came with TWO Blocks of the Month (aka BOM) on which she is working.  One is all batiks which is a change from PC's usual, in a Lori Smith pattern so you know it's spectacular.  The second is both piecing and applique.  It was the barely started applique block on which PC worked and FINISHED while chatting with us all.  Naturally, it is perfection!  Having recently returned from the Lancaster show, she had many other drool-worthy things to share with us.  Oh, the patterns, the kits, the BOMs! 
 
Just you wait.  It's difficult to refrain from adding to the pile of "must-do-someday's" when confronted by such bounty!

2 comments:

  1. You got so much accomplished on Saturday which is really a great feeling. I don't think I've ever been able to make six pillowcases in a day - so that's great. And I'm really anxious to see "Recess" with buttons!

    And Sunday - I know we all missed MN but it was great to have the rest of us together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing better than a quilty kind of day with friends I always say! And I must agree- that PC has my mind racing now...
    excuse me as I run...I think I have some Lori Smith patterns to riffle through!
    Bad...so bad......

    ReplyDelete