Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Crazy Quilt Block: Points to Remember

I've been working on the block with my mother's photo in it for this past week, and I've learned lessons that if I write down, I'll have a greater chance of remembering.  The block started out looking like this:
 
 
After a lot of work, it now looks like the photo below and is almost finished.  My mother was a voracious reader all her life and was also a librarian so I decided early on that I would embroider a book for her.  The project kept getting more and more complex until I realized the only way to do it was on another piece of fabric which could then be attached to the block like a piece of applique.  It sounded feasible.


Soon I realized the embroidery would have to been done on fabric with fusible web to act as a stablilizer. No problem there; it actually made drawing the book easier (point 1 to remember).  And because I used a stablizer with lines indicated on it, it made the embroidery easier after the pencil lines had been covered with thread. 
 
Once the picture was complete, I cut it out.  Since I didn't want to ruin all my work, I cut a quarter inch around the whole piece and cut the corners so the background fabric could be tucked behind the embroidery.  Are you still with me?  Good, because here's the part you have to think about - the layers.  One layer of embroidery fabric + one layer of stabilizer = 2 layers.  Tuck the quarter-inch stabilizer and base fabric under the embroidered picture; how many layers now?  Right, four.  Now place it on the CzQ block which consists of the backing fabric and the pretty orange (it may look reddish in this photo but it's a lovely burnt orange) fabric for two more layers for a grand total of SIX layers (point 2 to remember).  Now hand baste the embroidery to the CzQ block, and then, figure out what stitch would do the best job of both attaching the embroidery and hiding the tiny bit of stabilizer et al that is bound to show (as you can make out on the upper right of the top book where I let my stitches drift too far apart).  I chose to use a close blanket stitch and a thread that matches the burnt orange.
 
Now, imagine what it feels like when you have to stitch through six layers (point 3 to remember).  You will frequently use a punch and stab method of sewing rather than the usual one-step glide because the stitches are too tiny and the bulk of fabrics too great for gliding.  It has taken me three days to stitch from the top of the blue book, up one side of the open book and across the top.  I'm almost finished with the black binding on the upper book.

 
Would I do this again?  Absolutely (point 4 to remember)!  The blue book has my mother's full name (stitched in copper metallic thread as are the "gilt" edges of the pages which are yet to be trimmed - point 5 to remember) and the call numbers on the base of the spine are her birth and death years.  The pages on the top are legible (from my collection of fabrics with print, 2 pieces back to back and fused with web) and really say something.  There are six pages that can be turned (point 6 to remember). 
 
The marbled end papers are one of my flashes of rememberance of which I'm quite proud (remembering it is what makes me proud - you know how that is!).  It, too, is fabric from my stash, and it's been there for quite a while waiting for just the right project.  Finally, D's fingers should give you an idea of the size of this piece.  The size of the black book is 1 1/2" x 1 3/4".  The entire piece measures roughly 2 1/2" x 2 1/2".
 
 
Points to Remember (point 8 to remember)
 
  1. Draw on your stabilizer and use one that has lines if possible.  If not possible, consider drawing the lines before sketching the picture to be embroidered.
  2. Try using non-fusible web so the excess can be cut away thus eliminating 2 layers of fabric through which to sew.
  3. Punch and stab method of embroidery may need to be used so consider that when choosing both embroidery stitch and thread.
  4. Believe that the outcome is worth the labor because it is.
  5. Use even count linen for embroidery of letters or numbers, turn the edges under before embroidering, and machine stitch around every edge (if visible after embroidering, unsew machine stitching where it shows).
  6. Cut edges of pages or other pieces too flimsy to embroider with a wavy rotary cutter (pinking shears would do the job, too). 
  7. Tiny details while time consuming and labor intensive can take the final product from "Nice!" to "Wow, how'd you do that?" and simply give you both a warm glow and a great sense of accomplishment.
  8. Write down both what you did and what you learned so you don't forget!
  9.  
     
     
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. That is one very beautiful block and such a very nice tribute to your mom. She'd be very proud of you, Noel !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sigh....this is just too grand! a loving tribute and an amazing piece of work, my friend.

    ReplyDelete