Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Cutting or Sewing?

D's birthday is coming in mid-April.  The fact that he is away on an overnight business trip today gave me opportunities.  Initially I didn't know how best to use my time, but today's experiences (after too much time at the dentist and errands) answered any question I had.
 
You see, while I have some gifts for D, I want to make him a shirt from some fabric I purchased for that reason several years ago.  I've made a couple of shirts for him that he has enjoyed but can't wear as often as he'd like because he really needs long sleeve protection from the sun.  That meant that I had to purchase a new pattern - not so much for the sleeves which are no problem but for the cuffs and vent.  I tried to find such a pattern that did not also include a yoke (adds time to the construction process), but the local store was out of any like that.  Ah well, what's a few more minutes when the shirt itself will fit and look better? 
 
So today I began the tedious process of cutting out said shirt.  "Tedious?", you ask.  "What's the difference between cutting out a shirt and cutting out a quilt?"  Funny you should ask.  Remember how much time it takes to fussy cut for a quilt?  Now add that fussy cutting time to not being able to use a rotary cutter (with practice, I probably could, but I haven't practiced).  This is a fabric that requires matching pieces as you can see below.
 
Find a part of the pattern like the batter standing ready to swing his bat.  Then find where he appears again.  See how the pattern repeat shifts?  Now imagine matching the front pieces where they meet to button.  Takes a bit of time.  Then there are the sleeves which need to be the same (no way to match to the body of the shirt) followed by the yoke to the lower back.  Sigh.  It takes time, and sometimes you just have to forget perfectionism.
 
The second thing I'd like to at least start is the Shoji pattern I wrote about a bit ago.  In the photo below you'll see the table runner size I plan to make at the bottom right of the pattern.  You'll also see the fabric I chose to use.

 
At least I solved my quandary - to cut only or to cut and sew?  After today I know I should do as much of the cutting as possible.  You see, D comes home tomorrow, and I cut in the kitchen.  He wanders through many, many times a day and might grow suspicious if I throw my body over the table (in an effort to hide what I'm working on) every time he enters the room. 

 
Tomorrow I'll cut the Shoji screen fabric (above is a better picture of just the fabric) so it'll be done before he returns.  He doesn't get a clear look at what I'm sewing when I'm at the machine so I should be able to keep things hidden from him.
 
Who knows?  Maybe I'll even be able to cut out a summer nightshirt - at least for that one I won't have to match every detail of the fabric!

1 comment:

  1. Well, you certainly have a beautiful piece of fabric to match up. YIKES! But I do know you and the shirt will be wonderful when it's done.

    I also like the fabric for the Shoji screen. That's really pretty and doesn't look like it will take forever to do. Unless, of course, it takes steroids like a whole bunch of your "little" projects tend to do. Actually, I'd really hate to cut that fabric. It's very beautiful all together!

    ReplyDelete