Monday, March 18, 2013

Spring Baskets Quilt

Yesterday I mentioned the Spring Baskets quilt that was no longer in the UFO pile, but I hadn't taken a picture of it.  This afternoon when D came home we hung the quilt, and now there's a photograph to share with you.

 
It all sounds so easy, "We hung the quilt."  But it really isn't, and D is such a good sport about it.  This wall hanging is in our living room over our old upright piano so you can begin to imagine the difficulty we have changing the quilts there.  D has to go out to the shed to get the step ladder and then actually stand on the piano to put up the quilt.  It's a good thing he's quite trim!  You can also see the painting "Boathouse" on its small easel; it's there because it's an out-of-the-way place for it to dry.  Even though the colors aren't at match, the two - quilt and painting - make a good pair.

 
Here's a close up of the quilt with its 12 baskets.  Six of the baskets hold rabbits fussy cut from the border fabric and six hold flowers from a different fabric.  I mentioned that this project was one of the "Small Quilts" class I took, but I'm not very good at making small quilts (yesterday's "Cabanas" a notable exception!).  If I remember correctly, this quilt was supposed to have four baskets.  It was too much fun to resist the impulse to add to it!
 
The pale colors and the subject matter will make me think "Spring" even if tomorrow's weather does revert to "Winter" so I'm very glad it's up!

2 comments:

  1. Perhaps the bunnies in the basket will convince Mother Nature that it's time for winter to go. Your quilts are always on steroids from the original - except the cabanas. I wonder what happened that day??? The basket quilt looks great there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sigh! this is gorgeous (and you know how I feel about rabbits!). Now why didn't I grab up some of that chandelier fabric?? Oh well...
    I do love the fact that you couldn't stop at just 4 :-)

    ReplyDelete