Tuesday, July 26, 2016

One Down, Another One Begun

Painting day again, at long last!  At least it seems like it's been a long time.  I was correct in thinking that Sharon would have a few suggestions that would make the Venice painting better.  Here's what she thought:
  • make the figure on the bridge even more clear by darkening the gray behind her and complete the dark ink outline around the umbrella
  • make the water in the canal seem to flow into the doorway and give it (the water) more movement throughout
  • finish the stonework in the bridge on the left (can't believe I overlooked that completely!)
As I've done before, I'll post the before and after photos of the painting with "before class" on the left and "after class on the right:




Remember, if you click on the painting you'll be able to see a larger version of it, but you won't be able to see them side by side.

After I finished work on the Rainy Day in Venice (no clever title here, I'm afraid), I started a new one without buildings.  While I really enjoy painting cityscapes, my imprecision with perspective has become almost an anxiety. In general, perspective doesn't bother me even if I make some errors. But I'm not precise, and there are mistakes that are beginning to shout at me.  Do I have the patience to really work things out before hand?  I thought I had done that with this one only to find out I didn't solve everything.

So a landscape this time.  See if you can figure out what it may turn into:


I apologize for not cropping this one, but it wouldn't have helped you that much.

Here's a hint; you've seen a lot of this particular place in my blogs.


1 comment:

  1. love the changes that you made. I'm surprised at the difference in the bridge and surrounding area made by actually darkening the background. And - the lake in Vermont?

    ReplyDelete